Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Breakfasting with a Bishop, part 2!

Wednesday morning:
I woke up at 6:15, and had a shower, after walking into a window shutter... By 7:30, I was being driven down to the station by a seminarian... Not quite as dangerous as last time! The 8am train was invaded by Seminarians, Canons, and others, all heading for the ordination... By 8:30, my friends and I were all in the sacristy, where we had to wait an hour before Mass began... The hour passed uneventfully and, (without breakfast) Mass began... It was the first Pontifical high at the Faldstool I have ever been to. Needless to say it was very long... By 12:45 it was finished, so we went back to the sacristy, got out of our (very hot) serving stuff, and went back to the train station, absolutely famished! We got the train back to where we came from, and a Seminarian gave us a lift to the house of the Sister adorers, where lunch was that day...

Wednesday afternoon:
After a delicious lunch at the Sister adorers, we went up the hill to the seminary, where we had a rest until Vespers, at 6, followed shortly after by (yet another) lovely meal... Following that, Compline and bed!

Thursday morning:
Thursday morning was much the same as Wednesday morning, except that we went to a cafe a stone's throw away from the Church, and had a coffee and a croissant there...

Thursday afternoon:
At the beginning, almost identical to Wednesday afternoon, but all similarity stopped at 6. Vespers were not sung, but at 7, there was adoration, with the Te Deum. Pontificating  was Cardinal Bertoil, with Cardinal Burke, two Bishops, and the Abbot of Le Barroux in choir!!! After that, there was a small snack in preparation for the big meal, followed by the big meal which was superb...

Very early on Friday:
At 12 midnight, or there a bouts, the raffle was drawn! Following that, there where some speeches that I could not understand a word of... After the speeches there was the most spectacular display of fireworks, possibly in the history of the universe. I'm not joking. Apparently, the fireworks last year didn't work, so there were two years worth of fireworks!!! It was superb!! After that I went to bed.

Quite early on Friday:
I was woken up at around 6:30 by some inconsiderat French boys, who belived that if they had to get up early , then so did everyone else!!! I tried to get to sleep but couldn't, so I went and had a shower...

Later on Friday morning:
At 8, I went to the first of 5 first Masses, and then went for a little walk around the gardens. By 9:30, I was felling peckish, and went to Breakfast. On my way over to breakfast, I noticed the sign, which said (in French) Breakfast from 8-10, which I misread late last night, and mistook to mean breakfast at 8 and 10. Opps! Following Breakfast I went and had another look at the wreckage of the fireworks... Oh I was at the same table as the Bishop at breakfast, but didn't talk to him, as it was a very big table...

Friday afternoon:
After a hasty lunch, our group was driven down to the station, where we got  a train into Florence, from where got a bus into Pisa, and from there we got a plane to Manchester! Mom came and picked me up, and I got home late that night, but still managed to serve the Birmingham Oratory's 9:30 Mass the following morning!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow - what an adventure: you lucky thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite an experience, and an excellent account. Thanks Charlie.

    ReplyDelete