Friday, 10 May 2013

When the Jehovah's witnesses dare to knock

This post is inspired by a Jehovah's witness who knocked on our door early this morning... We were slightly busy, so he didn't come in... I think the large Crucifix directly opposite the front door might have scared him off!

Anyway here is what I would have done if he had come in!

There is a knock at the door.
I open the door.
Me: Hello!
JW: Hello, I am just giving out some magazines.
Me: Do you want to come in?
JW: Yes please.
The JW gives me a magazine, and we go into into the main room.
Me: So, what religion are you?
JW: I am a Jehovah's Witness. What about you?
Me: I'm a Roman Catholic. Anyway, I believe that you use the New Word translation of the bible.
JW: Yes that's right.
Me: So how many Gods do you believe in?
JW: The same as you, one.
Me: Ok then, do you mind if I use the Knox translation of the Bible? You may not have heard of it before, but it was translated single-handedly by a priest in the 1940s, and in my opinion it is one of the best translations. Of course, if you would rather, I could use the older Douay-Rehmis translation or the Latin Vulgate? If my Greek where a lot better, I could use the Greek Septuagint.
JW: Looks a little shocked. The Knox translation will be fine.
Me: Ok, if we could have a little look at chapter 1 verse 1 of Saint John's gospel.
We both get our bibles out.
Me: So in the Knox translation, it goes like this: "At the beginning of time the Word already was; and God had the Word abiding with him, and the Word was God." A more traditional translation goes like this: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." But I believe that your translation goes like this: "In the beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god." Is that right?
JW: Yes that is right.
Me: Right then, that is all fine except for the last 6 words, "and the Word was a god." You said yourself that you believe in only 1 God. But here your translation says that Our Lord Jesus is not true God, as he is, but rather a different god.
JW: Looks puzzled. Err, well...
Me: And also, calling God Jehovah is incorrect. Some scholars made the mistake of inserting the vowels of the word Adonai, used by the Jews to refer to God, between the consonants of the word YHWH, which resulted in the error.
JW: Gets up and makes toward the door. Well I really must be going now. Thank you. Goes out of the door slamming it behind him, and shakes the dust off his shoes as he leaves our drive!!!

May be continued...

3 comments:

  1. Well done.
    Regarding Jehovah's Witnesses and their use of the "divine name".

    The proper spelling and pronunciation of God's name YHWH is an enigma that serves well as a red-herring distraction for the Jehovah's Witnesses proselytizers.
    To complicate reader discovery of the Watchtower's real purpose of having come into existence,to proclaim Jesus return 1914,a false dogma.
    -Danny Haszard Bangor Maine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep a copy of the CTS booklet written *for* Jehovah's Witnesses by the front door. The last time they rang the bell, I greeted them with a warm smile and said "I'm SO glad you popped by. I have a present for you. Please read it then come back and we can discuss it."

    ...they haven't been seen here since!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last time I had a visit I asked if they believed that all things are possible for God. They readily agreed. I then asked why they did not believe in the Trinity and they said that it was impossible. I pointed out that they had already agreed that all things are possible for God, they wanted to move on, I wouldn't let them. They said that they would return, they didn't. (Bless them for their zeal, if only we were as eager to spread the truth).

    ReplyDelete