Sunday, 4 December 2011

Second High Mass

Today we went to the (now weekly) Solemn High Mass at the Birmingham Oratory. The Fathers have begun to have a High EF Mass every week instead of the Novus Ordo High Mass they used to have.
Last week the Mass setting that they used was beautiful. It was Josquin des Prez's Missa de Beata Virgine with Credo III. (Which has a very long Sanctus by which I mean Father had reached the consecration and he had to wait about 5 minutes before he could go on. Which is not fun if you're holding a smoking thurible just below your face!)
The Mass setting today was a lot shorter (which was good as I was thurifer again!) It was Missa brevis, one of Palestrina's 105 Masses!
Here are videos of both of the Mass settings:



Kyrie from Missa de Beata Virgine



Kyrie from Missa brevis



1 comment:

  1. I think you are very fortunate being allowed to be thurifer at High Mass at the age of 12. When I was 12 I still had to take my turn at being boat boy, and was not allowed to be a thurifer until I went to university at the age of 18. Although I received an offer of 3 E's at A-level from Birmingham University to read economics, I went to University College London because they gave me an offer of 2 E's! I don't think they give offers like that any more, so perhaps things were not all that bad in my day!

    ReplyDelete